View Single Post
      11-12-2016, 04:18 PM   #29
MatSmith749
Rep
Drives: e89 35is 2010

I got my m240i a few weeks ago.

I did test out a car with the HK, and whilst it was pretty good I didn't think it was great, so I specced the basic audio.

In comparison the biggest difference is whilst the HK sounds all right, the basic sounds like you are listening to music with hands pressed over your ears. It is truly muffled & dead sounding, the vocals blend in with the tune & it just sounds like you are listening to music from underwater.

But I figured the base system would be easy to fix & after seeing the driver components on the HK I could not see how they would perform much better.

Probably the biggest difference on the HK is that it has some tweeters installed from the factory, so it sounds brighter (too bright?) but not exactly loads better.

I've just done a speaker swap on the basic (installed Focal IFBMW-C drivers) & already it is much much better.... probably good enough to consider the upgrade 'done' without any additional amps etc.

YMWV - have a listen & see what you think.

My opinion would be that if you like your tunes then the HK will need upgrading to make you happy. if you are gonna do that anyways, may as well start from the base system. I say that on the basis that if you took a base system & spent the money you would pay for the HK on upgrade speakers, you will have a better system than the HK for the same money (or at least a better platform for future upgrades if desired).

Matt
Appreciate 0