View Single Post
      07-09-2018, 02:15 PM   #79
capt_and
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by edub92 View Post
When it comes to weight reduction how extreme are you going? Are you going to keep AC/heaters/speakers? I assume the stock m235i dash may be a bit heavier than the dash that is fitted in the m235ir version...

I'm curious as to how they get the m235iR down to 3100 lbs. I was thinking 400 lbs would be a realistic target if you include the carbon roof+hood, fully stripping interior, aftermarket seat/wheel, lighter weight battery (stock battery weighs a ton i imagine), no ac heater, catless and straight pipe exhaust....

though i agree the cage is going to add a good chunk of weight back in the car.
I am going to see how far I want to take it. Part of me wants to keep the car streetable so I don't have to deal with hauling a trailer. If that's the case, we would want to keep the AC/heater/speakers. All of those components together weigh no more than 50lbs. What's interesting is that the AC is an option on the iR. What I think I will do is keep that for now and whenever I get frustrated enough and need the .5 sec, I will remove it all. This shouldn't affect anything because the wiring harnesses are the same!

The iR has no spray on insulation or any of the small seemingly innocent parts. From what I recall, the welded on rails that the seats sit on are worth 14lbs and the carpeting is worth 20lbs. Stuff like that adds up! The dash in the iR is the same one that'ts in the production models.

Caging the car will add about 180lbs so that is a lot to overcome.

Instagram: @Capt_and

Last edited by capt_and; 07-09-2018 at 02:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
edub927.00