View Single Post
      07-09-2018, 12:46 PM   #75
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_and View Post
Race cars are expensive, building race cars are even more expensive, running the race car is the most expensive (long term). Which is why I am buying a beater Miata for practice.
^ This. If you're serious about developing a car, it is so easy to race through the first $100K - and that's separate from whatever the car cost you. For the running part, I budgeted $2K/track day - half for tires, half for everything else, including between-event maintenance.

-----------------

I expect that the weight, speed, and aero of your car will demand quite a bit from your tires. I recommend maintaining a healthy tire budget. One thing I learned was that the fresher the rubber, the more consistent both the car and I were. I ran with heavy aero and changed tires out after 4 HCs because the traction was no longer sufficient in heavy braking zones. That was on the BFG R1.

-----------------

Smart move re: the Miata. That car is the answer to so many track day questions that it isn't even funny. Want to have fun? Get a Miata. Want cheap? Get a Miata. Want reliable? Get a Miata. Want light weight? Get a Miata. Etc., etc.

Miatas may not go fast, but they're a ton of fun to drive, especially when leaving faster cars behind in the slower, twisty sections!
Appreciate 0