View Single Post
      07-09-2018, 12:08 PM   #74
capt_and
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by edub92 View Post
Looking good! Just followed you and TTX on instagram, keep up the good work!

Your build is going down the same direction I plan to take my M235i in a couple years... I want to turn it into an M235i/M235iR with ~500-550whp, an M235i GTS if you will...

What is your weight goal? 3100 lbs? Or are you trying to achieve lower than that?

Which carbon roof are you using? RKP? can you give me a relative idea of what this costs if possible?

also can you take pictures of how you guys end up ducting the brakes? very curious how you guys do it, i hope it solves your overheating problems

last but not least i wanted to get your opinion/have you weigh in on any engine oil starvation issues... have you run into anything yet? curious as to who else ran into it and if anyone else has performed the sump upgrade. ive been following this other thread and am very curious: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1474653

i am very much obsessed with the notion of looking for inspiration via the m235iR - it's like BMW did all the hard work for us.

anyways cheers and keep us posted!
There isn't very much weight to be lost unfortunately. I have gone through every part on the car and only found maybe a couple of hundred pounds to be lost. And then most will be added back on with the roll cage. But... Maybe it will be different than I think and we will get the car to shed a ton of weight!

Carbon roof will in fact be RKP. The labor hours should be around 12 hrs including glass removal. The hours are confirmed by BMW for the carbon roof for the m2 competition.

As for oil/fuel starvation, the m240i (B58 engine) has not experience any of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxp213 View Post
I like that you actually make moves and get things done instead of just talking about it. Thanks for sharing your progress.

What was your lap time at ECR?
2:04 on older RS4s. As a matter of fact, they are the same tires as the last time I was there a couple months ago. I am not too bummed out since it was my second time there and the first two sessions were spent on trying to remember the nuances of the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Most aren't aware of the cost involved in doing anything significant to a street car. It requires cubic dollars. Five-figure estimates sober most up pretty quick.

The only way to mitigate the cost is to do the work yourself, and few are capable in that regard.
The cost is significant... Even ignoring labor, parts alone are eating up my money. The MCS suspension alone is $7.5k... Good news for literally everybody else is that since I am playing guinea pig, this is all costing me more. TTW is documenting everything that is being done to this car to make it as repeatable and streamlined as possible. Anyone following in my footsteps will see a fair amount of reduction in cost.

But, so far, being first at bat is very expensive. The concept of keeping the car below the cost of the M2 has gone out the window. However, when all is complete, it will be a significantly faster car than an off the shelf M2.

Race cars are expensive, building race cars are even more expensive, running the race car is the most expensive (long term). Which is why I am buying a beater Miata for practice.

Instagram: @Capt_and
Appreciate 0