View Single Post
      03-23-2023, 11:22 PM   #33
Slack Beries
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M60i, BMW X4 M40i

In January my wife went from an X4 m40i to a Model 3 Performance so I can probably help a bit.

In Tesla’s favor:
The electric drivetrain is actually pretty good for spirited driving. You can dance around nearly anything due to the instant power delivery. However relaxed driving can be annoying because even with the regenerative braking turned all the way down there is a constant drag that requires attention to maintain a constant speed. I don’t have any complaints about the suspension.

Forward and side visibility is far superior to the X4.

Charging is quick enough that away-from-home charges can often be just 10-20 min.

If you are eligible for the tax credit this thing is less than nearly anything you’ll cross shop. It’s also cheap to fuel and insure.

The infotainment UI usability is the better than any other touchscreen in the market. The features are intuitively organized and logically labeled. I can’t complain about everything being control through the touchscreen since my daily uses iDrive 8.

Against Tesla:
Its new car smell is awful. They don’t use real leather. It’s been over two months and it’s practically as bad as day one.

In interior build materials are econobox quality.

It’s not a vehicle for tall people and it’s even worse in the second row. 6’2” folks will be uncomfortable in the front.

The advertised range is comically optimistic. The closest we’ve probably got to the advertised 315 mile range is 240. Real highway speeds kill the range.

There’s no heads up display and, worse yet, there’s no driver screen. You have to look at the center screen to check your speed.

There’s no CarPlay or Android Auto. However the Tesla nav is fine.

It’s not a luxury car as it has no luxury amenities. I get the temptation to compare it to luxury cars as it used to be priced like one.
Appreciate 0