View Single Post
      10-21-2013, 08:27 AM   #103
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
first of all, the 1M was an E82, which meant that the bulk of parts were shared with the E90/E92 3-series generation---which meant that they could USE M3 parts bolted onto there. The 1M was a 'frankenstein' type project. You can be assured that the M2 will NOT be a frankenstein project, if it does happen---unless they bolt on 'old' E92 M3 parts again. Most likely, if there is an M2 it will be fully developed this time, instead of the lab-project like development done last time. That could be a good thing....or a bad thing.

IF there is an M2, they cannot use the current generation M3/M4 parts, as they don't share commonality like the prior E82 and E92 did. In fact, the F22 shares MORE parts with the E82/E92 if anything as the chassis design for the F22 is still based on the E82. It's not a totally new chassis....it's a refresh/redux/modification of the E82 chassis design.
I never said anything about using E9x part. I was talking about F80/2/3 parts. While yes I agree that they'll actually have time to "fully" develop the M2 (even though I feel like they did a great job with the 1M), I'm not convinced it'll have 100% bespoke suspension and brake system, rather than shared parts from the next M3/4. IMHO, the only thing they didn't have time to do on the 1M was a bespoke engine (doubt you'll see one in an M2, but I'd love to be proven wrong with some kind of a 4 pot), DCT and CF roof (which I'm sure we'll see on an M2).

Don't get me wrong, I think the M2 is going to be an amazing car. I think it's going to look just as amazing as the M4 concept, but I'm just wondering at what price. The one thing that really attracts me to the 2er is that the entry price is somewhat reasonable, assuming you don't go nuts with the options. How big of a premium will the M2 be? We shall see
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0