Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post
It is not a shear or horizontal load. It's a bending load. In order to get more camber, the mount has to deflect more from straight vertical, (Or whatever angle is built into the strut towers). If you're trying to deflect a stiffer bushing, then you're going to be putting a huge bending load into the strut shaft.

A polyurethane bushing is a horrible idea for an adjustable camber plate. It's basic engineering, and seeing this failure is part of the reason I distrust so many aftermarket manufacturers.

If you want more camber than the factory gives you, you'll need a spherical bearing, and you'll get more NVH. No way around it.

Further, a camber plate with a urethane or stiff rubber bushing is NOT fine for the street: You may not have a catastrophic failure like this one, but you WILL wear out your struts much faster due to the increased side load on the seals and piston.
Had to do some research but I understand what you are saying now and I can see the problem with the OP's camber plates by looking at the pictures. I don't konw of anyone running into a problem like this on the E9x/E8x chassis regardless of the camber plate model so I am shocked to hear about this.

My advice to OP would be to buy the race plates which have the spherical bearing. I wouldn't worry about the NVH people claim they add because from my experience, they are silent. You will hear a slight increase in general road noise, but no clanks/rattles/squeaks. They get a bad rep because they're installed improperly. If they're professionally installed you will not get those noises.

And to rectify the previous comment I made, I do not think you're issues are install related, this was definitely the result of a design fault.
Appreciate 0