View Single Post
      12-22-2020, 08:56 PM   #5
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggggbmw View Post
That course looks like an absolute rip to drive. Too bad your G meter doesn't show vertical forces. Some of those corner drops must really unweight the car. Not a lot of runoff room in most places though.
Tremblant is a roller coaster, all right!

In the Northeast, the marque clubs pitch it as both a terrific destination for experiencing a former F1 track, but also as a wonderful destination for family activities. I spent the month of August up there one year and enjoyed it very much.

As far as runoff room goes, on the Northeast tracks there doesn't tend to be much of it. If you look at a video of New Hampshire Motor Speedway, the first thing you'll notice is that there is a vanishingly low margin for error. The Glen is a classic track in that regard; while it's wider than NHMS, if you get it wrong, you're going to be faced with blue Armco.

In the Northeast US and South Eastern Canada, I put the Glen, Mosport, and Mont Tremblant in the same category. While they're very similar in many ways, they're also distinctive from one another. The one thing they do have in common is that if you're going to be fast on those tracks you've got to commit, and to do that successfully you've got to have the car control skills and/or experience to manage your car as it moves around underneath you.

Somewhere I think I've got a video of me doing three major corrections at the top of the hill (i.e., the apex of T2) before saving it at the last possible second. Later, I gained a better understanding of how much respect that hill and turn requires, having accepted the fact that passing through there at maximum speed meant only that the frame of your car might be flexing uncomfortably beneath you.
Appreciate 0