View Single Post
      02-17-2017, 07:10 PM   #15
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
I utilize my wired connections and run 3 Apple AC routers which seamlessly pass the wireless signal.

They have been saying wifi will displace hard wires for about 20 years now.
Wireless is where everything is going. But wired will always have a place. With 802.11ac wave 2 and the additional channel space, theoretical wireless speeds are now at about 3.5 Gbps. While this may seem like wireless has leap frogged wired, this is not the case. Most home users only know that 1GigE is the fastest available. 10GigE is currently where 1GigE used to be in corporate networks and data centers. 25GigE is now starting to be the next cutting edge speed for many enterprise systems with 50GigE being the next step skipping over 40GigE (which never really took off in host device connectivity such as servers and storage). 100GigE is currently being rolled into data centers as back bone connections. All of the speeds I discussed above are now currently available.

As you can see from what I've said above, wireless has a long way to go before it is even in the ball park when compared to wired Ethernet with the gap widening as the standards are being worked out for 400GigE now.

Last edited by zx10guy; 02-17-2017 at 09:25 PM..
Appreciate 0