View Single Post
      02-16-2017, 09:24 PM   #9
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
I love my house was pre-wired for cat-5e. Same as you as a techie I like me some hard wired fun.
My house is also wired with quite a few Cat5e drops. But wireless is really where things are moving toward. Had I thought ahead some with this house I'm in now and especially my vacation property, I would have done some projected heat maps on the houses to plan in ceiling locations to have wired drops ready for me to install access points. But I wasn't very knowledgeable about wireless as I am now when I had my primary residence built and I didn't have time to work through heat maps for my vacation property before it was built; plus the builder for the vacation property was charging way too much per drop.

Anyways, much of my time is spent on my laptop connected wirelessly; even though I have connectivity to my edge devices running at 1 GigE, quite a few connections between switches and servers on 10 GigE, and a couple of servers on 40 GigE.
Appreciate 0