05-18-2022, 01:19 AM   #10
matter57
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
The recc I consistently get (and share) is that street tires (c.300TW) tires are best for development/learning. The reasons are that they are more predictable and communicative, better in wet, and the lower speeds mean that you are learning car control and the limits of traction at a lower velocity, so safer and easier to correct. The basic tenet is that until you can drive your car consistently at its limits, spend the money on driver skill rather than performance add-ons that just take the car's limit that much further from you. Track tires are often designed for specific track uses, so some are great autoX but very 'peaky' in terms of wear/temp. They have higher traction levels, but usually within a much narrower window, so they 'fall off' or break traction fast and somewhat unpredictably, often without the noises that would alert you that you are at their limit. Your comparison to motorcycle tires is a bit off, as the 200TW tires are not really street tires, they are 'street' (cheater/track-day) tires and usually quite heat/pressure sensitive. True that those track compounds are capable of more grip and faster times, but you won't be learning as much or improving as fast. Ask around with the instructors at your next track day and I suspect you will get similar advice.
good comments thanks Maynard. The Falkens are on so I'll see see how everything goes this Friday compared with the 4S. I agree completely about investing in driver skills and get coaching at least every other track day for 1/2 to a full day. thanks again
2015 228i w/track package, MCS 2 way NonRemote Dampers, new bmw long block, VRSF catless downpipe, AR Mtrsports oil pan baffle, Ground Control camber plates, Apex ARC-8 18 x8.5 wheels, ET45 with 5mm spacer in front only, Schroth Quick Fit Pro harnesses
Appreciate 1
Maynard3848.00