05-14-2022, 02:20 PM   #18
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Your Tesla experience was similar to my BMW experience. The only difference was I did a bit of research and then mass emailed dealers. So by that admission, yes it was slightly more work... but that slightly more work meant I paid over $10k less between the 2 cars I ordered. I don't know about you, but over $10k in savings is worth a bit of legwork.

The only time I stepped into the dealer was to take delivery of my car. They already knew I wasn't planning to buy any extras, so the process between signing the final paperwork and getting the keys was about 20 minutes.

I realize this may not be the typical buying experience, but like I said before, if you're savvy enough, the dealership experience can be about as convenient as direct sales, while enjoying thousands in savings.

Not everyone is keen on the car buying experience. Maybe you know very well how it works. Maybe i know how it works. But the question really stands, do we REALLY need an actual dealership? If you think so, please explain. What is mandatory about a dealership, that we really need them there for? Taking service dept aside, and just talking about sales. Why do we need them?

TURO has opened an outlet of people who can rent a car they might want to buy, so there's no need to go to the dealership to test drive a car they're interested in.

Think about it. You and your spouse want an M3. But you never drove it. You go to the dealer, and he offers a test drive. What do you think will happen? You and your spouse are SO excited, happy, not only because you're out test driving the car and at the next step of attaining one, but now you're so emotionally involved in a thought process that is blinded by what you are feeling that moment. That's how salesmen get most buyers. They know people get all giddy and happy about a new car they want to buy, that COMMON SENSE gets thrown out the window. Now the salesman can work.

"soooo how much can you put down? Are you trading anything? When was the last time you ran your credit? Are you leasing or financing? You know we ran your credit (IE: credit is 820) but might need another 2500 for the down payment. We can make it work but i'll have to ask the finance guy. Oh you're only approved for 2.9% APR (meanwhile the finance guy got your loan for 0.5%). Meet with the finance guy so he can go over all the protection plan. Wheels and tires, windshield, lifetime oil changes. You definitely need all that sir!"

Everything i said above is all tactics they use to make money on the customer. That is why they're there. Like i said before, maybe it's easy for you, and maybe it's easy for me to buy a car. Maybe it's easier for many on this forum. But that doesn't mean everyone who is ever buying a car will have the tools needed to get the best deal because of dealer money making tactics.

If you eliminate the dealer, you now have a bold price. Whatever is the price on the car website, that is what you pay. If you agree, you place your order. If you don't, you close the browser tab and don't buy the car.
Appreciate 0