View Single Post
      03-05-2016, 05:21 PM   #1
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

Mobil 1 No Longer Makes Motor Oil for Many BMW's

As crazy as this sounds, apparently it's true, and it includes 2 series cars, at least here in the U.S.

Mobil 1 0w40 European Car Formula used to state on the back of the bottle that it met BMW's Longlife-01 spec.

I went to order a couple of 5 gallon pails from Amazon to change the oil in my X5, and I noticed the following review:

"I bought this for my BMW 330i as it is supposedly an LL-01 approved oil. However, it it NO LONGER an LL-01 approved oil and the pictures listed are incorrect. The new front label no longer has BMW listed and the rear label listing the chart of which manufacturer is approved no longer has BMW as well.

I bought this oil as I recently read online that M1 0W-40 was losing the BMW LL-01 accreditation, however, Amazon has already switched over to the new stock but has not yet changed their picture."

Sure enough, I used the "find the right oil" feature on Mobil 1's website, and when I entered my X5 (a 2011 50i) I received the following response:

Based on what you've told us, your vehicle manufacturer recommends a 0W-30, 0W-40, 5W-30 or 5W-40 viscosity and oil that meets BMW Longlife LL-01 or BMW Longlife-01FE. We currently do not offer any motor oils in the United States that meet these specifications.

I also own a 2016 M235, and the same message appeared when I entered that car.

Sounds like Mobil 1 European Car Formula is no longer being marketing in the United States.

I posted this on the main forum instead of the Maintenance section as I know several 2 series owners here mentioned adding a quart of Mobil 1 when their cars were down a quart between oil changes, and I wanted to make sure everyone is alerted right away.
Appreciate 0