03-06-2018, 09:36 AM   #16
dsmclone
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjroch View Post
Do I really have to break this down all the way? Okay, here goes:

When I bought the car, the M235xi was still very new and $48k would have been an out of this world good price. I negotiated the price from $53.5k down to $50k. The residual at the time was 61%, which now turns out to have been the height of fantasy.

With BMW lease start/end fees factored in, my lease will have cost me roughly $22.5k. The only numbers I'm excluding from that total are dealer doc fees and yearly registration fees because they would be the same regardless of purchase/lease/finance choice.

That $22.5k includes roughly $1,100 in sales tax. In your world of an up front cash purchase, I would have paid sales tax on the full price of the car, which would have been $3,250. Yes, when I trade it in I would not pay tax on the first $26k of the replacement car, but that only saves me $1,690.

So had I bought the car outright, I would have paid $50,000+$3,250-$26,000-$1,690=$25,560 to drive the car for 3 years. I also could've (but shouldn't have) done a single pay lease, which would have also saved me the interest on the financed $17.2k depreciation amount, another roughly $800.

Because I leased, and because I live in a state that only taxes the depreciated amount of a lease, I saved over $3,000. I can also walk away from this weird electrical issue. If something else even worse had happened I'd be all the more grateful not to be stuck with the car.
That's perfect. Looks like it worked out for you.
Appreciate 0