10-18-2018, 09:09 AM   #22
z3papa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3 ZCP, 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TajoMan View Post
I did a Auto X this weekend and it was a blast.
Tire held up very well at respectably low pressure (compare to MPSS).

I ran 36~37 in front and 30~32 rear, hot.
Tire wear did not even touch the wear marker triangle. I was impressed.
(I had to run 43~48 psi in front with MPSS to keep the letter readable on the sidewall. lol)

I did not improve that much in terms of my time/score compare to other regular drivers but I think I was little too scared to push way further than I used to with MPSS.
After I checked my videos, I don't hear much tire squeal. I should've pushed more. way more.

Next time, I will lower the pressure to 32~34 in front and 28~30 in rear and push much harder. will see.

Overall, I can see why this is THE tire for Auto X.

Sang -- this is Clark (red M3). I'd recommend running lower pressures than what you are using but that's your call. I run 33F/29R but admittedly am running either 275 square or 285 square as I have 18x9F/18x10R. A Bridgestone rep asked me my pressures at the Peru Nat'l tour and confirmed they designed this tire to be run at fairly low pressures with the stiff sidewall. In terms of picking up time, autocross is an exercise of transcending your perceived limitations of what you/your car can do. It's a learned skill which takes some time to develop. Driving/riding with faster drivers will only make you faster. If you want to do a grudge match on Saturday (ie 3 extra runs in my car), I'd be up for it but will disclose my tires are a bit worn but should be still fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
just watching that video, id put the hardest tires i have on... thats like the worst surface possible. I thought we had it bad![/QUOTE]

Don't take this wrong but picking hard tires for rough surfaces is not conducive to being fast. As choppy as Rantoul's concrete surface appears in that video, it is actually much smoother that it appears and very grippy. Fair more grippy than virtually any smooth asphalt surface, and only slightly less grippy than the best sites in the US. Many national competitors come to our local events to get seat time on this site before trekking to Lincoln for Nat's because of that reason. We are a welcoming club with a relaxed atmosphere. If you are in the area, check out an event.