View Single Post
      07-12-2019, 11:51 AM   #4
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

When the clunking began to occur, had the car already been lowered on springs prior to the coilovers? From what I've learned over the years on this site is that the top hats do not take kindly to lowering, especially anything over 1/2 inch as it increases camber and puts stress on the top hat bearing. The hats are designed for the OEM camber settings and anything that changes camber can apparently put them at an operating angle/stroke that car wear them out and/or cause clunking. The top hats in the F series BMWs are quite a bit different in design compared to most other makes and the tolerances are much tighter.

I've had prior cars where I've gotten similar clunking in the front. All were lowered and when I thought the issue was resolved, it reappeared after 50-100 miles. The culprit was the top hat. Either it was worn out or the strut nut wasn't torque to spec.