View Single Post
      07-04-2019, 08:37 PM   #12
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
This is a generalization, but is it your perception that the further above $100K the price of a car is, the further the driver stays from the edge of the pavement from turn-in through apex and then on to track-out?

I don't mean to knock that, mind you - heck, I might well be doing something similar if I were driving a GTn (xx), a Ferrari Challenge car, or a Lambo.

It's just a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if the track-day insurance companies cut you loose after your first ball-up in one of the super cars, whereas a friend totaled his FR-S a while back, and he's got a rebuilt car and no issues with continuing to buy insurance from the same outfit.
I would say it is very much dependent on the individual who owns the car and whether they have the money to self-insure, as most I have asked with high value cars don’t have track day insurance.

The biggest repair job over the past few years at the track I attend was probably over $200K for a badly damaged Maserati MC12. At the auto-x sessions I attend, two of the highest value crashes over the past few years were a totalled F90 M5 that ended up through a fence into a nearby drainage ditch and an almost totalled Ferrari 355 that hit a curb and went through a fence. Sometimes the fastest cars in fast venues can have big offs, especially at auto-x events where you can hit 140km/h (85mph) at certain points in the course, no matter how safe the organizers try to make the layout.
Appreciate 0