View Single Post
      04-15-2019, 10:12 PM   #227
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

pad swap - same location or rotate?

Last year I swapped in street+/light-track pads for the summer, and went back to the OEM pads for the winter. I took pains to mark the pads so they went back in the exact same location.

This year I'll be doing full track pads for track weekends, street+ pads for the rest of the summer, and back to OEM in the fall with the winter tires. Lots of pad swapping.

The question is, as I do all of this pad swapping, should I be concerned about putting the pads back in the same spot? Should the Left Outer always be the Left Outer? Or, should the pads be rotated around like tires? Inside to outside, left to right, some other way? Or does it just not matter at all?

My initial thought is that the pads might take a set to the brake rotor, matching any grooving in the disc. But my rotors are generally smooth, and the pads all look identical when I pull them out. I'm starting to think keeping them in the same spot is just OCD.

This also assumes that there is no significant vertical or horizontal taper in the pads, no significant grooving, and the wear is generally even across an axle set.

So, same spot? Conscious rotation? Or just shuffle them around randomly?
Appreciate 0