View Single Post
      04-12-2019, 09:02 AM   #2
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Unfortunately the 1-2 syncros are failing and the only fix is replacing the transmission as there are no rebuild kits. Fluid won't help things. It's a somewhat common issue with any 2012+ BMW using the ZF 6MT (M cars, M235, most F series 3s and 4s).

A refurbished M235 6MT is $3,200-3,600 from BMW plus you might as well replace the dual mass flywheel and clutch while you're at it. You're likely looking at $6K USD all in. It REALLY sucks and is the only major repair I worry would with my M235. I would consider begging BMW to goodwill some of this repair. It's worth a shot.

If you bought used, the prior owner probably did it in by driving it hard before the fluid was fully warmed. These 6MTs use a pretty robust fluid for hard driving, but it's critical that you give the tranny 10-15 minute warm up before hitting the gears hard as the fluid takes a bit of time to warm up. I avoid hammering a 1-2 shift often as the 1-2 syncro is the weak link.