View Single Post
      07-22-2021, 09:08 PM   #88
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Except for the busy tail lights, the new G42 M240i looks like a pretty nice design evolution of the F87 M2 Competition's look. The front grill (joined kidneys), the angular three-hole front fascia mosaic, the mirrors, the fender flares, the body character lines, the rear bumper vents, the hoff kink, and the stance are a very nice progression of styling that adds some edginess and modern design queues but ties back to the F87 M2C. I feel like the G42 M240i took a lot of inspiration from the F87 M2C. So far so good.

Based on that, if I was to extrapolate from the F87 M2C to the G42 M240i to the G87 M2, I'd expect more of the same. But this leaked G87 M2 front end sort of breaks the organic flow. It looks wrong to me, like there is too much emphasis on nostrils and openings. The whole thing is a grill, with more open area than body surface. The boxy lower fascia openings have no cohesiveness at -- almost looks like the front end clipped a curb and some of the parts fell out.

Be interesting to see what the rest of the G87 M2 styling package looks like, but from what I am seeing now, I think maybe the M240i is the high point of the new generation's design language, and they took a weird turn with the M2.

I have always felt my F87 M2C styling was getting a bit outdated, but I can't say the G87 front end styling is appealing to me at all. If this design is supposed to make me want a new model, it's not working so far. And that's saying something, since I am usually a sucker with money burning a hole in my pocket for M cars.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
///M TOWN16543.50
F87EVO4033.00
Puppetz127.50
qnet681.50