04-28-2022, 06:55 PM   #39
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
As an engineer myself, the term "engineered" is relevant to marry a diverse set of requirements to a design outcome, both the oil spec and component design specs have specific goals and the engine in general would not be designed and then a specific oil created to meet it's needs. The iterative design / engineering / certification process will use and reuse relevant components.

It is not clear that the B58 does pass the use of Xw40 LL-01 oils, as the ISTA-D info in older version does show LL-01, but any BMW documentation only shows 5w30 LL-01 oils for the B58 or 0w30 LL-01FE oils (besides the recommended LL-0117FE+). So the issue maybe that it was never properly documented This SIB that just pre-dates the B58 lists LL-01 available from BMW that are only 5w30, there are no listed 0w40 or 5w40 line items: https://www.tsbsearch.com/BMW/SI-B11-01-15

There are also revisions of the LL-01 standard, with the latest being LL-01 (2018), but finding the content seems difficult, to determine whether the current LL-01 standard actually supports anything beyond 5w30.
The tsb from bmw only shows the bmw oils, they have another one for all approved oils that carry LL01. I will get it for you when I get a chance.

LL01 has been improved over the years to include a timing chain test and be even more rigourous in terms of oxidation. If you look at after market oils like PPE 5w40 motul Xcess gen 2 5W40 you can see they carry LL01 and the latter was just released in 2021 or 2022 (and they both still to this day still carry LL01) showing that these oils do indeed still conform to BMW's ll01 standard and thus appliciable to bmw engines such as the b58 and s58.

IMO at the very least if I were a B58 owner I would move away from FE oils - if possible during warranty by dealership approved oil swaps to an ll01 oil, or wait until warranty is over and move to a different non Fe oil. They trade so much protection for fuel economy. I believe dealers can still give you a 5w30 LL01 variant if you request it, this oil was made by shell for bmw (well unless it is all replaced by castrol now) and was really really really damn good oil. But this is what alot of guys did to get out of LL01 Fe and use LL01 oils.