04-28-2022, 05:52 PM   #37
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
If you have any proper peer reviewed info on why FE oils are not adequate, I would be interested to review it, as tribology research doesn't seem to correlate with Internet oil paranoia, neither do statistical failures from reliability info for vehicles running the B58 engine.

From the data on Motul Sport 300V 5w40, at an HTHS of 4.5 it is still quite a way from Castrol 10w60 with a HTHS of 5.2, but again HTHS in itself has no significant meaning when the engine is engineered to use a lower viscocity oil with a subsequently lower HTHS.

I've seen plenty of good UOAs from BMW 0w20 oils on stock engines, just can't compare with the results from a non-stock engine.
Unfortunately oil companies dont like to fund research discrediting their own products, so the best data we have is UOA done in per oil change and done extensively by the fine folks at BIOTG. Note most of them are engineers at major oil companies formulating this stuff, so clearly they know what they're talking about.

Also an engine isn't "engineered" to run an oil, the oil is engineered/formulated to meet an engines requirements. What dictates if an engine can use said oil is indeed oil passage clearance and since the b58 passes LL01 it can handle up to select 5w40 oils (low kv100 oils). So the notion that the b58 can only run 0w20 is moot, and the only reason why these cars run low viscosity FE oils are to meet the extremely stringent german emissions targets.