04-28-2022, 01:36 AM   #29
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
The small amount of magnetic sludge doesn't seem to be anything to worry about, it should be expelled at oil change along with the non-magnetic sludge of especially harder aluminium oxides that will exist in the oil from any fine oxided aluminium wear.

I use a standard BMW drain plug with no risk of the breakage that a poor quality aftermarket plug could bring.

For the N55, LL-01 works well, but it is no longer specified for the B58 in any market, needs to be LL-01FE 0w30 or LL-17FE+ spec oil.
Like I said, doing something is better than nothing, and for a cheap part why not. In terms of breaking, that is the reason why one should opt for a quality drain plug instead of going for the cheapest one there is.

That's the problem with the new B58's, to meet fuel efficency standards they are now forcing the B58 to use FE low viscosity oils. Now this is not to be misinterpreted to higher weight being better, but it is to do with shear strength - HTHS, and FE oils typically do not fare well when it comes to shear strength and thus protection is compromised. There are hypothesis out there saying this is what has lead to n55's having bearing failures vs. the n54 which shares a very similar bearing compound, because ll01FE was introduced right at the same time as the n55's release. So honestly the FE specified oils, are a huge negative and if I were a B58 owner I would instantly dump the FE certified oil right after warranty ends for more robust certifications like porsche A40, MB229.5 and BMW LL01. There has also been discussions on BITOG by experts with oil, and with UOA's to back this up, FE oils are inferior to non FE oils.

Also if you use a good base stock oil, a 40 weight oil will have the same viscosity as a thick 30 weight oil, but also have a higher shear strength. That's the benefit of a quality base stock, better shear strength without the viscosity penalty to get it.
Cos270608.50