04-28-2022, 12:16 AM   #27
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
LSPI definitely can be a problem with aftermarket tunes, but the characteristics leading to it shouldn’t be an issue with a stock B58 tune and BMW spec oil.

The interesting thing about CB wear in the referenced research is the very negative effect on wear high ZDDP oils can have when hard CB deposits are present (i.e. in GDI and Diesel engines), this seems to be a little understood area that hopefully Shell as the financial sponsor will research further. It only seems that manufacturers are specifying low ZDDP oils to meet catalytic converter and particulate filter needs, but have perhaps dodged a longevity problem indirectly.

Back to the magnetic filter, I won’t fit one, but I think it is good if it gives someone peace of mind.
Well it can be aftermarket tune related - I have seen alot of crap tuners on these platforms but I won't get into that. But it can be made better even compared to stock if you have a competent tuner that will increase load in the higher rpm ranges rather than tuners that dump everything as low down in the rpm band as possible.

Yes bmw spec oil will help, but LL01FE sucks for wear protection, try to get LL01 instead. There is a whole oil thread on the m2 side of the forums with a really knowledgeable oil expert who discusses everything. But I personally run pennzoil platnium euro 5w40 for a variety of reasons (high hths, low noack, excellent additive package etc). No need to run expensive botique oils.

Low ZDDP is also mandated to protect against timing chain wear amongst other things. BMW LL01 now is requiring a timing chain test too.

Some images of others using a magnetic drain plug

Cheap magnetic drain plug (being hollow makes them weak hence a strong metal is desirable):

This shows magnetic wear metals are present in these aluminium engines.

N54 drain plug:

M4 drain plug: