View Single Post
      11-24-2020, 04:48 PM   #6
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
You've got to be careful about assuming that straight wet braking distance is any indicator of resistance to aquaplaning, especially on a bend. Quite a few recent video reviews have concluded that the selected winters had poorer wet braking than all-seasons. However when I've looked at some of the German magazine reviews, where they use a lot of instrumentation, they've concluded that the winters chosen were significantly more resistant to aquaplaning than any other type, especially when they set up a test on a curve. I also noted that on one of the recent UK video reviews, while driving circuits, they said how much better the winter's handling was on wet curves, but this never made into the summary at the end, when all they quoted were the straight-line, braking-to-a-stop distances. I find it a bit confusing as it's always been my experience that the winters have been much more sure-footed in heavy rain and standing water, but of course, that's purely subjective. Also, given that there are huge differences between brands of the same season (summer, winter) tyres, aren't you also going to get differences between brands across seasons too?

Last edited by msej449; 11-24-2020 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0