View Single Post
      05-03-2018, 04:19 PM   #7
KB34
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I DK what KB34 is on about, but I'd have to totally disagree - my 228 is a fantastic 4-seasons sports car.

I have a 228iX that I DD all year long, in Upstate NY winters (winter/summer tire sets - all seasons will not do as well). This car is fantastic in the snow, just phenomenal. My first AWD, so can't directly compare to others, but I've never been stuck, rarely even worried about it. I don't go off-road to know about mud, but assume it would rock there as well (but not enough ground clearance to really go off-road). In the dry, it also rocks hard, and has an AWD dynamic, does not feel RWD to me (pulls itself around the turns somewhat, and easier to get into that 4wheel drift mode). Just back from my first track day, and it did quite well there - certainly more car than I have skills for at this point. As far as reliability, I've not had any serious issues but I'm only at about 20k, and all minor stuff was under warranty (bulb, rear pads). I would certainly keep it warrantied with extended coverage, since everything is wicked expensive.

You'll want to trial it yourself, but overall what I've heard from the few Subie fans I know who have been in a 2 series is that the 2 pulls much harder, less peaky power, and much less 'boy-racer' feeling - if you want that rough and jumpy feeling, you might want to stick with an STI, but the 228 is much more solid and refined (and it pulls like a train from about 2k up). Also probably easier to find a variety of traditional aftermarket stuff for the Subie if you like modding extensively, especially for the x-drives (BMW suspension parts are more available for RWD models).
What I'm on about... I answered his questions with my opinion and made it very clear they were opinions.

First he asked how it would compare to the Subaru in handling snow, mud, dirt, and gravel. I gave my opinion, I think the Subaru is much better as it's AWD system was developed for Rally, and then transferred to the street cars. The 228xi, was not developed for rally, has hardly any ground clearance, and when I have driven it, I have seen it is more RWD biased, which is completely understandable considering the car is standard as RWD. The power on the 228xi is not perfectly distributed to all the wheels like a Subaru. It is probably more like 70% Rear and 30% Front.

I also gave my opinion that driving enthusiastically on wet roads is stupid. It is dangerous for you and other drivers. And on wet roads, AWD is not as important as good tires to maintain traction and the balance and stability of the car.

Also, he asked about repairs and issues with these cars, such as the old BMW electric water pump issues. I gave my honest opinion, based on the mileage he said he will be driving. Repairs on these cars are not cheap, and BMW has a history of not having the greatest quality control. Based on the mileage the OP said he would drive 25K a year, and he is looking for something under 50K miles, I said I think he would be better off thinking twice about a BMW. If he is concerned about reliability, he shouldn't buy a BMW. He should stick with a Subaru.

Also, if he is considering cost, which anyone buying a car should. A brand new WRX can be had for the price of a used 228xi. Not to mention better interest rates and resale value because it is a new car and not pre-owned. And he will have much more time in his factory warranty.

And on a side note, a well tuned Subie, will pull so much better than the 228. Not to mention it has the lovely boxer rumble.

My Other Cars: '18 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack; '78 Pontiac Trans Am 455

Future Cars: '19 RTR Mustang Ecoboost
Appreciate 0