View Single Post
      12-02-2021, 05:10 PM   #1
tgmsocal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6MT

Another LSD thread

OK, so I had to go to the tire place today to get the TPMS sensors switched out on the rims/tires I swapped over (prior BMW was 2013, wrong sensors). I picked this 2016 M235i 6MT up from the dealer used a little over a month ago and I continue to discover mods from the prior owner - they had no history on the car...

While the car was up in the air at the tire shop, I asked if I could go spin the rear tires to see if by some spot of fortune I have an LSD in there. Car was in neutral, e-brake off. Both wheels spun forward. Repeated multiple times, forward and reverse, always same direction.

Tried to get some pics of the diff (will add a post from my phone with them) but couldn't grab one of the top where the label is supposed to be. Tried to look the numbers in the pictures up via realOEM and Google to no avail - generic to both LSD and non-LSD.

I haven't driven a car with an LSD in a long time, the car feels good to me but haven't really had a chance to test it yet. Last test I know to try is to jack one wheel up and see how much force it takes to move the wheel that's in the air (should require a good amount of force with LSD).

TLDR; I need to know what kind of diff I have so I can buy the correct fluid for upcoming fluid changes. Installing FBO and changing oil/trans/diff fluids here shortly and the LSD and non-LSD use different fluids.

Thank you for any help you can provide, or tips you can add to what I've already found in searching. Not trying to rehash old ways of testing or anything like that.

Last edited by tgmsocal; 12-02-2021 at 05:18 PM..
Appreciate 0