Rep
Drives: BMW

See in red below

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubmw View Post

ehagerty,

Yes, Yes Yes, Fantastic !!!

*canīt believe I finally found a thread with exactly what I was looking for*

Just let me say I also love the look and convenience of my hitch racks and had almost given up hope on finding a way to fit one in my upcoming M140i. Loved your install and 1Up rack, however Im partial to this one myself ...

http://kuatracks.com/products/hitch/sherpatm-2-0/

... the black and chrome would look badass in a 2 series.

Now the hard part: As I mentioned, Im getting a new M140i early next year, and of course want to fit the Curt Tow Hitch so I can continue to use my hitch rack, or even perhaps get a new one in black.

Questions:

1. In your experience, do you think this same Hitch will fit the M140i? - the backend seems to share quite a bit with the 235/240 ... I heard you had an issue fitting a hitch to a M135i ... perhaps you know a way around it?

I feel it should based on the fact that the same hitch is marketed for the 2 series, 3 series and 4 series. I think all of the smaller platforms are using the same mount spacing in the rear but I have no facts....I just bought it and gave it a shot on both the M235i and then my M4

2. Any advice before I order the Tow Hitch and take your step by step to an installer?

Just buy it and go....very limited investment in my opinion if it does not work. You have more to gain than loose

For adapting the Curt Hitch referenced above would you say it is required to fit the MPerformance exhaust and/or Diffuser? I canīt really tell from the pictures, but it seems a bit smaller than the standard exhaust and I had the notion that it might help make room for the tow hitch.

Nope live everything just where it is....I took the time to cut and fit the heat shielding just in case it gets really hot back there but the hitch blocks a lot of the heat

I was looking around with the folks at etrailer with the same idea, but I was looking at the wrong hitch and the schematics didn't match so iīd given up. The folks there did point me the wrong way, I suppose itīs a good policy to recommend OEM approved installations first: http://www.etrailer.com/question-194852.html?fb=yes

They are not so smart and gave me a lot of bum information....that is why I ventured out on my own

If you can give me a few pointers with what to look out for in the install for the M140i Iīll go to my installer when I get my new car, and post the step by step in the M135/M140 forums.

Just be careful pulling off the bumper so you don't break the tabs like i did in the corners

Oh ... one final question ... does anyone have experience with upholding the warranty with BMW with this type of MOD ? In particular because there is no electric install and no real towing being done ... thoughts?

Warranty is not effected.....they never questioned mine in 1.5 yrs I had it.

Thanks so much!
Appreciate 0