View Single Post
      02-21-2019, 01:39 PM   #25
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

I can tell you from my research that any summer tire should be a non starter for a daily driver. Also true for ultra high performance all seasons.

According to the data they are noisier, last a shorter amount of time, and have a poorer ride and get worse mileage. Sometimes they even cost more money.

Objectively they grip better, but that's in a controlled environment. In the real world there are too many variables for it to make a practical difference.
There is a subjective difference in 'feel' but its hard to quantify that.
The pavement changes too many times, with too many random things on the surface. Which in plain English means you won't notice any higher g's in corners or shorter stopping distances at real world speeds on real world roads (I'm comparing top of the line to top of the line only)

Again, if you track your car or autox (also controlled environments) then that's different since you are sacrificing everything for grip. However outside of that single use case, and I'm making a broad generalization, your money is better spent avoiding the ultra high performance groups since the performance of the rest of the tires is almost as good or superior in other regards.

Seth
Appreciate 0