United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive 8A

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCrow7xx View Post
So basically not having a true LSD is a severe limitation, and for 0-60 / 1/4 mile pulls its best to flash the car back to AWD sounds like?
In from-a-dead-stop drag racing. Absolutely AWD. 0-60 and 1/4 mile is ALL about the hardest launch possible. 40mph+ roll racing would be better served in 2WD as traction isn't much of an issue.

Quote:
2WD is better for track driving and drifting?
Yes. AWD creates understeer. That's not something you want in track driving, at least not a trait a skilled driver wants.

Quote:
I still really think the engine is overpowering the tranny in AWD mode, wondering if the XHP maps would make it better or make it worse?
Automatics are MUCH easier on drivetains as the torque converter helps soften the load, especially in launching. 6MTs can be a lot more abusive. Since there is so much traction with AWD, it is very hard on the drivetrain, especially the transfer case. That's largely why they tend to fail over time with added power.

Add power and you should expect issues with the drivetrain and engine as BMW didn't intend these cars to be pushing 20%+ more power than stock.
Thats what I am starting to wonder. If I take a car rated at 330ft/pounds of torque and suddenly force it to make 480ft/pounds of torque there really are consequences. The rest if the car wasn't made for that much more power.

So like how do the coyote mustang guys strap on a blower and make 650-900hp on otherwise stock cars? Are their drivetrains just taking a major beating over time until they fail?

So really in life you cant buy the cheaper model and hack/mod/build it up for less than the price of the more expensive model because you run into these situations where increasing one attribute has negative/ unintended consequences on other attributes.

And by the time you replace and upgrade everything in unison you have now spent as much as the higher model to begin with.

2016 F22 M235 8A HK NBTevo | CTS HEX Intake | CTS Chargepipe | Gplus Intercooler | VRSF DP | BM3 Stage 2+ | 18" CSL Replicas | XHP X-Delete
Appreciate 0