View Single Post
      05-17-2020, 06:41 PM   #2
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Sport or Comfort means all nannies on. There are occasions where you can induce spin in Sport, especially with power mods, but the nannies will intervene quickly and cut power, boost, timing, throttle, etc. When you see those the traction control lights flicker, it essentially means nannies are now hyperactive. You never noticed this because you have AWD and the tires really won't spin or hardly as tall.

There are also occasions (more often), where the nannies will preemptively intervene and will reduce power, throttle, etc. I notice this the most. I can sometimes hit it in 1st and it feels like there isn't any boost. Then I switch it to Sport+, Traction, or DSC Off and it's a totally different animal. All those modes reduce and/or turn off the nannies.

Keep in mind Sport+ and Traction modes will allow for some spin and minor sliding (maybe a 1 to 2 feet), but they still will pull the car back into line. DSC Off is by far the best driving mode but it's best left to those that understand chassis control and dynamics since these turbo motors can overload the rear tires with a surge of torque and the driver needs to understand how to deal with it. A LSD makes a HUGE difference.

You're not going to notice much difference in acceleration between 2wd and AWD because those heavy front axles and front differential are still spinning, they're just not connected to the power output. That extra 60+lbs of rotational inertia sucks out power.

Last edited by XutvJet; 05-17-2020 at 07:36 PM..
Appreciate 1