View Single Post
      06-18-2019, 10:08 AM   #16
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

This thread takes me waaay back to when dragging was THE street scene (not really my scene, but you can't help but have a lot of it rub off). The launch is about 90% of your time (or what you can change and improve), and there are tons of details regarding tire setup, pressures, etc. Definitely tire-specific/car setup specific. You can probably get apps that let you practice your tree-timing, and those would be quite worthwhile. It also can help to get your tune set to optimize launch torque vs. mid-run (I know many soften the low end so they don't break out as badly at launch, but DK how that works on an xdrive).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240 View Post
Wider tire on same width wheel, yes. Wider tire on correctly sized wider wheel, contact shape stays the same. That’s why manufacturers have a recommended wheel width for each tire (and that changes per tire as well
This is incorrect. Size of contact patch is a function of weight and psi (so lower psi gives bigger patch, among other benefits). Wider tires mostly give more rubber overall, so on a racetrack there is more resistance to heat and wear. Wider rims mean better-supported sidewalls (not always a good thing in the drags), and more weight. Tire width isn't that big a deal - I've seen a car on much narrower dedicated drag tires regularly eat the lunch of more powerful cars on wider street tires. Rotating weight, especially on driven wheels, is a big deal. And, if permitted, tire prep sprays can also be a help (to e/t but your wallet).
Appreciate 0