Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 128i, 1989 E30 325ix

Garage List
1989 BMW 325IX  [8.75]
2011 BMW 128i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
May 4, 2023

— Affects approximately 90,000 vehicles built between 2000 and 2006 already under recall.
— The vehicles remain unrepaired despite intense customer outreach efforts since 2016.
— Owners of these vehicles should park them immediately and contact BMW for more information.

Woodcliff Lake, NJ – May 4, 2023… In the interest of customer safety, BMW of North America has pro-actively issued an immediate Do Not Drive warning for approximately 90,000 2000-2006 BMW 3 Series (E46) including M3, 2000-2003 5 Series (E39) including M5, and 2000-2004 X5s (E53) equipped with certain driver’s front airbag inflators manufactured by Takata. These vehicles have already been included in several Takata-related recalls; however, despite intense customer outreach efforts by BMW since 2016, they remain unrepaired and, as the airbag inflators age further, the risk of serious injury or death increases. Therefore, to reemphasize the seriousness of the situation, the decision was made to escalate the recall to a Do Not Drive order. Owners of affected BMWs that have not had their vehicles inspected and repaired should not consider them safe to drive.

Notification emails will be sent to owners of these vehicles starting in May with letters to follow in June.

These vehicles were manufactured with airbag inflators that contain a propellant that breaks down after long-term exposure to temperature fluctuations and humidity. If the vehicle is involved in a crash and the driver’s airbag deploys, the metal airbag inflator can rupture, sending razor-sharp shrapnel towards the [...]
Even though this post states 2000-2006 I own a 2011 e82 128i with the same recall, I’ve been troubleshooting a crank no start issue since long before I’ve been notified of the recall and the car has remained parked in my driveway, I live in a state where my sulev warranty is not covered and have had to do a lot of work to my car repairing and replacing parts at a considerable expense to myself, These parts are specifically covered under sulev warranty it would be nice if bmw could step up and cover these repairs nationwide instead of taking advantage of states with no emissions controls to cut costs. I’ll be taking care of my recalls at the local bmw stealership after I can manage to get it running again.
Appreciate 0