View Single Post
      01-20-2023, 12:38 PM   #11
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
It's more related to the plasma coating on the cylinder walls being washed away. Typically by fuel due to injector failure.

There's a few threads mentioning it on the 3 series side of the forums as well.
Yep, there have been a handful of failures in stock and modded M240s and 3/4 series cars. Evidence does point fuel washing issue caused by injector issues. The belief is that the injector leaks which leads to diluted oiling which then increases friction on the rings which then scraps off the plasma coating. Once that happens, it's downhill from there and the damage gets worse and worse, even if you were to fix the injector. This same issue afflicts the Porsche cars with the DFI 9A1 motors (987.2 and 997.2 cars).

Given that many people run high capacity HPFPs on their modded first gen B58s plus increased boost, thus way more fuel being pushed through the injectors, I do wonder if the stock injectors are being pushed past their limits and they start to leak.

I know the S55 and S58 have the same plasma coating. I've never checked to see if they have the same injectors as the first gen B58 and/or if BMW has updated the injectors for the B58.

I would not say this is a widespread issue, but it does seem to happen more in modded B58s than stock. I think if I were own one of these cars, I'd change the oil at least every 5K miles and do a used oil analysis to see if there is excessive fuel in the oil and high amounts of aluminum. If the issue does happen, you are looking at a 5 figure repair assuming you can't do the work yourself.