Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I'd definitely have $10K+ set aside for a rainy day repair if you plan on pushing 450whp+ on the stock block and transmission. It's easy to make big power, but the block wasn't designed for it nor was the 8AT. You can get away with for a little while, but in the long term, you'll likely be walking on egg shells. M models that push 420whp+ stock have a ton more cooling capacity than the M240. That's a big key to longevity and reliability. You just can't add a ton more power and not consider cooling.

Also, the earlier generation B58s, like those found in the M240, do have some issues with bore scoring, especially in modded B58s. If bore score happens, you'll need to replace the short block or sleeve it. Neither is cheap.

Also pushing that amount of power definitely will require an LSD. With with stock power, the car needs an LSD. Assuming you install it yourself, you're looking at $2,500-3,000 depending the LSD you go with.

If it were, me, I'd just get a prior gen M3/M4 that has all these parts already. With a very basic tune, it will be just as quick as a 500whp M240 and be more reliable and not for a lot more money.

FYI, a 400-450whp/500wtq M240 will outrun a majority of the cars on the street. If it's an Xdrive, there's hardly any cars on the street that would hang with it from 0-90mph. My M235 6MT with ~380whp/400wtq is plenty quick for a street car and I very rarely wind it out thru 2nd and hardly ever 3rd as I'd be going over 100mph. These cars have such wide and long power bands that having "just 400whp" is misleading. It takes a Mustang Coyote 5.0 well over 450whp to hang with a 380-400whp turbo BMW 2/3 series. Power under the curve is key and why these cars haul serous ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I'd definitely have $10K+ set aside for a rainy day repair if you plan on pushing 450whp+ on the stock block and transmission. It's easy to make big power, but the block wasn't designed for it nor was the 8AT. You can get away with for a little while, but in the long term, you'll likely be walking on egg shells. M models that push 420whp+ stock have a ton more cooling capacity than the M240. That's a big key to longevity and reliability. You just can't add a ton more power and not consider cooling.

Also, the earlier generation B58s, like those found in the M240, do have some issues with bore scoring, especially in modded B58s. If bore score happens, you'll need to replace the short block or sleeve it. Neither is cheap.

Also pushing that amount of power definitely will require an LSD. With with stock power, the car needs an LSD. Assuming you install it yourself, you're looking at $2,500-3,000 depending the LSD you go with.

If it were, me, I'd just get a prior gen M3/M4 that has all these parts already. With a very basic tune, it will be just as quick as a 500whp M240 and be more reliable and not for a lot more money.

FYI, a 400-450whp/500wtq M240 will outrun a majority of the cars on the street. If it's an Xdrive, there's hardly any cars on the street that would hang with it from 0-90mph. My M235 6MT with ~380whp/400wtq is plenty quick for a street car and I very rarely wind it out thru 2nd and hardly ever 3rd as I'd be going over 100mph. These cars have such wide and long power bands that having "just 400whp" is misleading. It takes a Mustang Coyote 5.0 well over 450whp to hang with a 380-400whp turbo BMW 2/3 series. Power under the curve is key and why these cars haul serous ass.
Any info on the M240i bore scoring?
Appreciate 0