View Single Post
      02-22-2020, 02:34 PM   #66
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNerd View Post
And BMW as a brand finished 8th overall.

So makes you wonder where BMW gets the reputation that it's cars aren't reliable. Is it the expense of the repairs that eventually happen? Or is it BMWs are problem free while under warranty, but fall apart by 100K miles (This study follows 3 year old cars)?
Because overall, they generally haven't been. Have you not heard of all the N54 problems? The 7 Series with thousands of dollars in electrical problems that left people stranded on the side of the road? The spun crank hubs on the F80 M3/M4? E9x M3 rod bearing failures? Then there were the catastrophic N63 engine problems. And these are just problems from the last 12-13 years.

I could go on, but just because this platform has been well above average in reliability (aside from the N20 timing chain failures), doesn't mean BMW's are generally reliable as an entire brand.