View Single Post
      05-01-2022, 11:44 PM   #40
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Got rid of my Bolt EV for an M3, so I feel like I have some good input.

Wife and I used the Bolt to run errands, so for short runs around town and shopping, EV's are fantastic. We loved it. Plugged it in when we got home, and every time we went to drive it, it had a full charge, was the most convenient thing in the world...then the whole battery issue happened. This limited our charge to 80%, with no fix in sight mind you, just an open recall with no immediate resolution. On 100% charge we could get 240-250 miles out of it pretty easily (roughly 4.2-4.4 miles per kW) but when it got cold out, that dropped to 2.8-3.0 miles per kW, which was a substantial loss of range. The cold battery "degradation" plus the 80% charge meant substantially less range, trip computer showed 150-160 miles MAX in the dead of winter (20 degrees or so here in NC).

For what they are, EV's are very expensive. Our Bolt was mid 30s and had cloth interior, garbage interior quality (although that's probably more of a Chevy thing), bad speakers, no auto-high beams, manual seats, no adaptive cruise, the list goes on. For the same price as the Bolt, we bought a 2021 CX5, which has infinitely more creature comforts. If EV's comes down in price, we (the world) would see a MUCH higher adoption rate. The instant power and sheer convenience of never visiting a gas station or needing an oil change is awesome.

We (my family) will definitely have another EV, but prices need to come down AND they need more mileage. While the M3 could definitely be our primary family vehicle, the CX5 is just better suited for that role since it's bigger and gets better MPG. If an SUV EV existed that was a decent price and had 350 ish miles of range, we (my family) could very well be a 2 car family. But with current tech, an EV only makes sense to us as a 2nd car, which would actually be our 3rd vehicle, and we have no need for 3 cars between the 2 of us.
Appreciate 5
wdb4732.00
Cos270608.50
kyriian884.50
eugenebmw1482.00