View Single Post
      05-01-2022, 08:05 PM   #37
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

There are multiple solutions here:

1. Plug in hybrids - some plug in hybrids have an EV drivetrain, AND an ICE drivetrain. The i3 is, honestly genius as well, EV with a backup gas charger. Volvo recognizes that a dual drivetrain is the TOP performance models. The T8 and Polestars are their fastest models, now with the long range versions with 44 miles of electric only range. Can't charge at a convenient location? Who cares. The gas drivetrain moves you along just fine. This is the way to move to the future

2. EV's with fuel cell sources. You don't HAVE to use a battery to power an EV. Hydrogen. Methane. Propane. Whatever. Makes efficient use of fossil fuels.

3. EV's with small nuclear engines. I know, everyone will laugh. Subs and carriers power absolutely huge vehicles with engines that are tiny by comparison to the ICE comparisons. In enough time, perhaps small nuclear engines can power the EV's of the future. 25 years or more per refueling. This is, of course, a generation or two away, but possible in the future? Maybe.

The real future of vehicles is a mix of EVERYTHING. ICE, EV, Hydrogen, etc. Future energy policy will have to be a mishmash of everything we have.

Shawn
Appreciate 0