View Single Post
      12-03-2020, 12:23 PM   #17
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I think a lot of people assume since the Dinantronics is a piggyback, it has some wonky power delivery the JB4s were famous for. That couldn't be further from truth. Since the Dinantronics patches into most of the DME harness, it considers a multitude of sensors and readings to determine the appropriate and safe power delivery. The JB4 only taps into about 4 sensors and doesn't have computing or analytical capability, much less the build quality of the Dinantronics.

I bought my Dinantronics Stage 2 about 1.5 years ago and it was used (2 years old at the time). It's been flawless. I got it for $500 and would have never paid list price for it (would have gone flash tune). I had the Dinansport prior and while a great mod for the money, power delivery could be a bit abrupt in the lower rpms and sometimes inconsistent. The Dinantronics Stage 2 has very smooth, OEM like power delivery. Power doesn't hit like a sledgehammer, but it's more than enough power to blow the tires off from a roll in certain conditions and the car is way more powerful than stock in any situation and rpm. 60mph+ acceleration is impressive and is where I really notice the difference. It's like riding a wave of power.

The negatives are lack of datalogging (I use a Torque App), no way to determine true boost being made, no optional tunes other than to switch to Stage 1, and a pretty sensitive accelerator when in the Sport throttle setting. The Dinansport did this too and it sometimes makes it hard to drive the 6MT smoothly (been driving manuals since 1989).

If I were to flash tune (quite likely at some point), I'd go MHD. If I'm going to flash, I want the control. IMO, BM3 tends to push the power limits a bit too hard. Too many people have fueling and driveability issues with the BM3 Stage 2 flashes. The MHD is more conservative and focused more on driveability and reliability.