12-02-2020, 08:30 AM   #8
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2daA08 View Post
I'm not seeing how the numbers work out to where I'd be seeing more from going Dinantronics Stage 3 to the flash Stage 1. Peak numbers are pretty far off from what I should potentially be at at the crank. Running 93 octane. Are the stage 1 flash numbers with an OEM vehicle?

Plus there's always the $1100 difference in initial Costs if I were to do the trade in offer.
Comparing these charts is always a fun excercise. Default chart for the flashes is at the wheels where as the DINANTRONICS charts were always done at the crank so the first thing to make sure to do is change the flash chart dropdown to crank numbers for a bit more of a direct comparison. Secondly, for ease of comparison since not all data/charts is present for the M235i its logical to compare the N55 335i/435i EWG data from both instead of the M235i directly. Generally speaking its the same data but the M235i would have a slighlty higher baseline and therefore a bit less of an overall delta of improvement. For the sake of comparison between DINANTRONICS and the flash though its immaterial.

Next thing to note is that the DINANTRONICS data was derived from a hub based Dynapack dyno in California whereas the Flash data is derived from a Mustang dyno in Alabama and VERY differnt times (years apart) on different vehicles so a direct comparison is difficult at best for absolute numbers. The best course is to compare gains as those numbers should be independent and consistent regardless of ending/starting points. So if you are just looking at the base numbers (peak and max) below then they look very similar and within margin of variance given different cars, times/seasons, dyno's, etc.

DPT Stage 3 vs Stage 1 Flash
Peak HP - 395 @ 5500 RPM vs 384 @ 5500 RPM
Peak TQ - 417 @ 3000 RPM vs 414 @ 3500 RPM
MAX HP gain - 99 @ 5000 RPM vs 92 @ 4500 RPM
MAX TQ Gain - 104 @ 5000 RPM vs 115 @2500 RPM

However, when you start to dig into the numbers/graphs a bit you see where the "robustness" of the flash actually shines. Where the DINANTRONICS power curve steadily improves to redline the flash tune is actually delivering much more power earlier on in the power band and holding it there for the duration. Upper RPM power is great but for a lot of folks is meaningless since you don't spend so little of your time in that RPM window during daily driving. The flash delivers so much more power starting at ~2500-4000 RPM where DINANTRONICS does not and is simply more meaningful for the average consumer as they spend most of their time in that part of the power band. In short the flash essentially gives you the upper end power that the stage 3 DINANTRONICS would give you but adds in a much healthier bottom end. A quick look at a few RPM point for illustration...

DPT Stage 3 vs Flash Stage 1
HP Gain at 2500 RPM - 28 vs 55
TRQ Gain at 2500 RPM - 58 vs 115
HP Gain at 3000 RPM - 49 vs 63
TRQ Gain at 3000 RPM - 87 vs 110
HP Gain at 4000 RPM - 41 vs 74
TRQ Gain at 4000 RPM - 59 vs 111

Hopefully that helps and doesnt create more confusion.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50