View Single Post
      03-28-2023, 01:19 AM   #6
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickies View Post
Your enhanced picture is irrelevant. It doesn't show any damage to the wheel hub from prying the center cap. I am very well aware of alloy wheel corrosion going back to the 80's and all my cars have been bought from new. They all have been replaced under warranty.

You said you remove your wheels for service. This is a big commitment and nice if it is convenient.

You maybe have a show car but mine is just a pampered daily driver. Afterall, the outcome will not be a big deal because I don't foresee any other BMW in my future.
The clear coat is obviously damaged in the areas I marked, from whatever reason if it wasn’t prying. That is why you have corrosion under the clear coat, emanating from the damaged area. The clear coat may have come off in the worst surface area, but with the straight-on view it is hard to tell in the photo. I’ve seen plenty of clear coated machined wheels with this problem, whether from BMW or other manufacturers.

My car is far from a show car, it has done plenty of winter driving and ski resort visits, it is now in my sons possession and being prepped for track use this summer, while I wait for the replacement M2 that will also be a daily driver in all conditions. I just find it more convenient to drop off one set of wheels for new tyres while the car is on the other set. I have the time and equipment to do most of my own work, but I use a trusted shop for tyre fitting who do the work properly, which I find rare for most tyre shops.
Appreciate 0