08-31-2018, 07:26 PM   #14
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS235XI View Post
Hi guys,

I don't have any issues with it, but what is the foam behind and under the engine cover for?
Has anyone removed this to increase engine noise to the cabin?
The heavy foam insulated engine cover and the foam on the top backside of the motor serves two purposes.

1) The reduction of direct injector and engine noise.

2) To retain heat to assist with quicker cold engine warm up.

The downside to this insulation is that it keeps things on top of the motor screaming hot including all the wiring. For the long term, especially given that this is a German car, that's scary.

The M3/M4 S55 motor has a tiny engine cover that only covers the front half of the valve cover. The M2/M3/M4 also don't use the insulating panel on the hood. Point in, the hood paint can handle the heat.

I'm not running the engine cover or hood insulation because I like the look of the naked N55, I like hearing more of the N55 scream (no difference in the cabin at lighter loads or idle), and I like that I've got nothing obstructing my view of the motor when inspecting it, which I do monthly or more.

I'm currently in the process of modifying a plastic valve cover from a later 1990s 540 to cover the wiring harnesses to the front four coil packs. I hope to be done this weekend with the project. It's looking pretty sweet.
Appreciate 0