01-15-2019, 06:38 PM   #9
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnat View Post
I've used Rotella T6 on every turbo car I've had including this one. Seems to hold up well to heat and boost. 5-40... Wrx, Sti, 335 and M235xi...
She’ll Rotella is a great oil. Many folks with the M54 engine (E46 and E39 cars) swear by it as it reduces oil consumption. However, the B58 engine is at least 2 generations ahead of the M54 engine. That said, I think putting Rotella T6 in a B58 isn’t the way to go. It’s too “thick.” I’ve talked with techs who’ve worked on and tracked BMWs for decades. They unanimously think a)0W20 oil (put in B58 engines sold in the US) is too thin, and b)LiquiMoly oil is as good as Redline oil.

Btw, almost consumer synthetic oils are made from oil or natural gas (Mobil 1) that is cracked down into the small polymer chains used to create the oil. Both LiquiMoly and Redline oils are truely synthetic. That is, the small polymers are created from scratch. Will you notice a difference? Likely not. But, I track my car and I want to make sure the engine is properly protected. I run LiquiMoly 5W30 that’s BMW LL01 FE (fuel efficiency) certified. And, it’s made in Germany. And, it’s cheaper on Amazon than many “consumer” synthetic oils.
Appreciate 0