View Single Post
      03-01-2020, 12:02 PM   #1
Sliptality
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xDrive

Exclamation M235i Stage 2 (Bootmod3) Stuttering + Inconsistent Ignition Timing?

Hey all. First off, hi. I'm brand new to the forums and a first time BMW owner.

I recently did a full stage 2 kit on my 2015 M235i xDrive (8 speed, auto). I installed the following parts:
  • VSRF Catless Downpipe
  • 5" Stepped HD Core (VSRF) FMIC
  • VSRF Chargepipe
  • Injen Short Ram Intake
  • NGK 1-step colder Spark Plugs

On to my issue:
Whenever I am being light on the throttle and just holding steady RPMs/speed on the highway, I get this feeling of the car shifting every so often. It is NOT shifting. It's this weird little hiccup that makes it feel like a rough shift. Sometimes it's incredibly subtle, sometimes it's quite harsh. I believe I caught this happening in a log here (from .690 to .915): http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5e5b2aa0d10b43119366afdf

I also noticed on a couple occasions that the car would stutter quite badly and not even let me go over 2-2.5k RPMs. If I let off and eased back into it I could get it to go right back to normal. This seemed really weird to me but I haven't been able to reproduce it really.

Now, I know intakes can cause some issues. In fact, I threw the stock intake back on and the car DID run better and these hiccups were MUCH more subtle, but it did not eliminate the issue that was present. My passengers likely wouldn't feel the hiccup on the stock intake it unless I pointed it out. I also have a whole slew of CEL codes, which did not disappear when I put the stock intake on either, INCLUDING the MAF code. All of these problems were present on the stock spark plugs before switching over to the NGK plugs. The car runs a little nicer with the NGK plugs (my old ones were at 61k) but the same issues are present. I think a spark plug issue can be ruled out.

I also want to include a full hard pull for you guys to take a look at with me to determine whether or not it's running optimal under WOT conditions. I ran through third and fourth here.
http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5e5b2a9ed10b43119366afdd

Edit: I just noticed how off the ignition timing is, particularly bad in the 4th gear pull in the log above. Any input?

I'll note that it's very cold here in Pennsylvania (below 32F).

So, with all that being said, feel free to ask me questions because I'll pretty much be here all day trying to figure this crap out! I love the sound of the car now and would really like to keep the intake given that I now own it (can't return it now...) and it makes some pretty sweet turbo noises I would be surprised if bootmod3 could not tune the car to compensate for the additional airflow from the intake?

Any insight is VERY appreciated!

Last edited by Sliptality; 03-01-2020 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: Noticed bad ignition timing in 4th gear pull
Appreciate 0