Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraBimmerPlz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaketh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by supraBimmerPlz View Post

Not sure about the whole pad/rotor thing. I see people often mention that the change them together. Could be for tracking purpose, which I don't plan on doing. Seems kind of stupid to make rotors wear with pads, no? I've been driving 4pots all my life, so I really just want to experience driving a 6 cyl now lol. It's the main reason I'm trying to avoid the 228i, but that's the next best thing, I suppose.
I've changed pads/rotors on my cars my whole life. It was only with this 235 that two dealers and one indy told me they change both at the same time.

You can probably skip the need to change the rotors after the first set of pads wear down. But the rotors might not last the full life of the new pads. I'm going to measure my rotors next time my pads wear out. Doing pads on these cars is cake. Rotors are a bit harder; the brembo style calipers are more complicated and I've read a few stories of sheared bolts.

I don't know your financial situation but if you anticipate earning more money later in life the 228 is a good stop gap to the 235. I kinda wanna 'upgrade' to the 240 next year but it's hard to justify. A jump from a 228 to a 235 is a nice little upgrade.
Yeah, after some more digging, I'm seeing people change rotors every other pad change, which seems to be in line with what some of y'all have said. So I guess that expense would be every 2 years or so (I'm assuming the pads last a year, ~12k mi).

Financially, I have zero commitments right now. But although I love cars, and driving, I would still want enough to travel and what not. I'd be hard pressed to enjoy that if I had to put in a couple thousand each year into my car alone. That's my concern. I'll likely be getting a raise and/or bonus soon, but I'd rather not buy on the anticipation of money I don't currently have.

I'm seeing 228i models go for $17-20k around here. Some 2016 models are just over that at $22k. But the majority of these are around the 40-50k miles range, which is where I've heard things start going south on these cars. Still open to getting one, but more research to be done.
Three thousand per year on maintenance. Won't it be cheaper to just get BMW warranty then?