View Single Post
      09-02-2019, 07:53 AM   #41
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

I love that - and lets me keep my OEM sail panels - would do that in a hearbeat (certainly is cheaper than trying to find the HK sail panels and modify them).

Only issue I can think of (ignoring the $800/p cost of the the tweeters in that photo... is that they aren't invisible and the externalities associated with that) is that it narrows the already narrow soundstage of this car. May have to do a mock up with paperclips and chewing gum to see.

Edit: So I went and its super tight. You could throw a tweeter pod on the dash on the passenger side just where the A pillar meets the glass and its discrete, almost classy even.
But the drivers side may not work. The sail panel is further to the left of the drivers head than the A pillar, and its also closer to that door mid. I think if the goal is to get the speakers as wide and close together as possible then it has to be in the sail.
The only other advantage to putting in a pod on the base of the pillar by the glass is you can face the tweeter better as opposed to it basically just firing across the car laterally but can actually.

Will ask the shop doing the work what their experience has been since pods are cheaper than sail panels (about half price) and easier to wire as well (since you don't have to pull wire through the door at all). This would be active so can adjust some parameters related to timing and EQ of course and there's no extra charge there as I would need to tune the setup regardless.

Seth

Last edited by sethwas; 09-02-2019 at 03:01 PM..
Appreciate 0