04-08-2016, 05:06 PM   #26
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflatminor View Post
Sure. The Ghost woofers are the only change I've made thus far. The installation was pretty easy. You just unbolt the seats, lean them back, unscrew the grill cover and then swap the speakers.

Sound wise, the new woofers immediately fixed a GLARING problem with the stock system, which was a complete and total disconnect between the lower frequencies the 4" OEM speakers can produce, and where the stock woofers begin to kick in. Basically, there is a gap of 'nothing' between the two, which leaves out a lot of the music and eliminates the impact the lower frequencies can produce, particularly with powerful music.

Stated differently, the stock system has a huge dip in the frequency spectrum between the 4" speakers and the woofer.

The Ghost woofers from Bavsound fixed that immediately. Much more impact and a seamless transition between speakers. At least now I'm hearing the full spectrum and experiencing reasonable impact/fullness with large scale music.

The bass response is still less-than-perfect, even with acoustic jazz and other non-bass-crazy music. My hope is that the new bimmertech amp will tighten up the bottom end and produce better articulation of subtle LF detail and a "tighter" control over rock-like bass.
I'm not surprised at that frequency gap, and it's part of the reason I recommend replacing drivers before the amp. Full-range drivers of the OEM units' quality and magnet size just can't do much with frequencies below 250Hz or so.

selmeralto (and others who have upgraded the door and rear deck drivers): It's likely that that 'gap' no longer exists -- or is very small -- in your cars since the woofers on good coaxials can generally reach down to roughly 120Hz before the dropoff in bass response becomes a freefall. That said, a good mid-bass or bass driver (not necessarily a dedicated sub) that can get down to 60Hz or so with minimal dropoff should fill out the bottom end nicely in our cars. It sounds like the Ghost units do this.
Appreciate 0