View Single Post
      10-07-2022, 04:30 AM   #23
High Desert
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i X Convert

We have a ’15 F23 228i x drive (purchased used as a project car) and ’15 MINI S, purchased new and heavily modified (trophy to prove it). Had a great relationship with the local dealer but then the dealership was sold to an international firm the good SAs and mechanics left.

I found a local indi that was a factory trained mechanic. Was good but only would use 0W-20 oil changes. This was after we had conversations about what oil I wanted (as owner’s manual stated 0W-30 or 5W—30). My previous conversations with the previous SAs told me that BMW went 0W-20 for mileage regs from Europe and the new engines were modified for it. Not the previous models.

I am no longer a customer at the indi shop after a series of emails. He stated that he does not believe in BMW forums, only BMW factory bulletins. He implied that forums, such as this one, are full of stupid owners.

ECS Tuning has an OEM BMW oil change kit 5W-30, 6 qts or liters, oil filter, O-ring, and drain plug for $79.99, free shipping. I am going to change my oil in both cars from now on. Plugs as well. Cross referenced BMW part numbers and found OEM on Amazon and other sites. Still have my NEWtis subscription from my mod days.

Question/opinions: Is it better the raise the front of the car on ramps, nose up, or jack car and place jack stands at four points, horizontal, to change oil?
Appreciate 0