10-26-2019, 03:46 PM   #14
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
For me, they originally fixed the right side with this cobbled up wiring add-on. Then the left went and I think by now the official fix is to replace the whole tail light unit with the revised new piece - they ended up replacing both of mine with the post-'16 version (they also f'd up the seal and had to redo the job, so this may have been some goodwill). I would start out asking for the revised tail lights. Don't hesitate to emphasize that we are talking about something BURNING OUT and any fear you may have for a firs in the ass of your car (actually a near impossibility, but it never hurts to make a case). I'm saying this because, even without my mentioning it, the SA was using what sounded like corporate talking points to reassure me about that.
There isn't anything wrong with the taillight assembly itself, it would be a waste of time to replace the whole unit, unless the connectors are rusted or corroded.

This issue is due to a lack of ground polarity for incandescent bulbs and the only fix is a new bulb holder and revised socket to accommodate the supplementary ground offset.

If you're DIYing it, you could even possible add additional ground yourself and not even replace the bulb holder and wiring. But since there is still warranty coverage, may as well let the manufacture own up to their shortcomings.

You can demand whatever you want from the dealer but if they don't see it necessary to replace the taillight unit, they won't.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0