Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thielepr View Post
I basically agree 90% with your post. Making your car stiffer doesn't necessary means better handling. I also agree that swapping the sway bar is a better upgrade than the springs since it doesn't affect the ride quality. However, I still think that the M235i is more on the soft side, which isn't a bad thing for street car.

What I meant on my original comment was that some people swap springs to aftermarket ones without even knowing if they are even going to a softer springs
Fair enough. Ride quality is, to an extent, subjective. If you want a stiffer ride, go for it.

However, I think it might be difficult in the spring department because (as far as I know, could be wrong) most OEM-style progressive springs do not specify their spring rate(s), perhaps due in part to the fact that the rate changes based on compression.

That being said, I absolutely agree that a baseline metric would be super helpful. Something, anything so I can determine if the spring I am buying is objectively softer or stiffer than stock.